Please see below for the Mass times at Our Lady's - Haigh and Holy Family - New Springs
From the Bishops’ Conference for England and Wales.
The government has announced a four-week national lockdown for England from Thursday, 5th November.
As it stands, churches will only be permitted to allow people to enter for private individual prayer and funerals. This will last for a period of four weeks until Wednesday, 2 December.
CLICK HERE to read a statement issued by the President and Vice-President of the Bishops’ Conference in response to the lockdown.
Whilst we do not yet offer online live streaming of our Mass celebrations there are other churches that do.
At present Live Streaming of masses is available from different churches the nearest one we are aware of is at St Vincent’s, Over Hulton. They already live stream. please follow the link to live stream services. Their website is http://stvincentsbolton.org/
Sunday mass at St Vincent’s is at 10.00am.
Walsingham is also live streaming all its services – their website www.walsingham.org.uk
Further options can be found here: https://www.churchservices.tv/
Church opening times
RETURN OF WEEKEND MASSES AT OUR LADY’S AND HOLY FAMILY
Vigil Mass - Saturday at 6.00pm and the Sunday Mass at 9.30am, both at Our Lady’s.
Sunday Mass - Holy Family at 11.15am.
Parishioners are reminded that, at present, there is still no obligation to attend Mass. We will let you know when this changes.
There are no mid-week Masses planned for the near future.
The Parish of Haigh, Aspull & Blackrod
Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception was founded in the mid 1850's and is part of the R.C. Diocese of Salford. The Church was blessed and opened in 1858, the year of the apparitions of Our Lady at Lourdes. The Church was re-ordered in the 1990's and several new stained-glass windows were installed, some made in Blackrod, and are an interesting feature of the Church.
Holy Family Parish, New Springs, was funded from Our Lady's in 1898 and in 2009 clebrated the Golden Jubilee of its Church. The community of Blackrod, Bolton, had a chapel-of-ease from 1960 to 2009 when St. Andrews Church Hall was closed.
All three areas - Haigh & Aspull, Blackrod and New Springs are now served from Our Lady's.
Rev Kevin Foulkes
48 Haigh Road
Wigan WN2 1YA
TEL: 01942 516732
Sacrament of Reconciliation
11:30 - 12 noon
A Parish History ~ 1858-2018
Mr Livesey & Mr West have worked with local parishioners to produce a book about the history of our parish and school, they have kindly allowed us to reproduce an electronic version of their book, available on the Parish Page, CLICK HERE to read it.
If you would like to purchase a hard copy of the book CLICK HERE
It is a privilege and honour to write the forward to the Parish History of Our Lady’s Parish, on its 160th Anniversary.
It has also been a privilege and honour, and a pleasure, to serve as Our Lady’s Parish Priest since 1997 – following in the footsteps of my twenty-six predecessors.
Saint Peter writes ‘He is the living stone, rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him; set yourselves close to him so that you too, the holy priesthood that offers the spiritual sacrifices which Jesus Christ has made acceptable to God, may be living stones making a spiritual house.’ (Peter 2:3-5)
We are the living stones of this Christian community – commissioned as ‘missionary disciples’ to be Christ’s ‘ambassadors’ (St. Paul Cor. 5:20) in loving witness, worship and service to our community.
There have been many changes over these 160 years – in the Church, Society, Education and the design of Our Lady’s Church. The priests and people of Our Lady’s Parish have experienced many joyful family and Parish celebrations but also wars, peace, poverty and economic depressions, through twelve Pontificates and six Reigns – and we too are facing a challenging time for the Catholic Church. Blessed John Henry, Cardinal Newman wrote that ‘To live is to change and to be perfect is to have changed often’.
And so, building on and celebrating our heritage – the stones of Our Lady’s Church, and the ‘living stones’ of our dedicated, faithful and often courageous priests, parishioners and teachers in our Parish School we can face the future with confidence. We do so knowing that Jesus, Our Risen Lord, has promised to be with his Church forever. (Matthew 28:20)
I commend this publication to be read and enjoyed by everyone.
Many thanks to Phil Livesey and Neil West for their initiative to begin and to bring this book to completion and to all who have collaborated with them, with their own very interesting and often amusing memories! God bless you all.
Fr Kevin C. Foulkes